Posted on | February 14, 2012 | No Comments
How to edit PCL for Printer Migration
Follow the steps listed below to go from an existing printer with multi-tray/bin assignments to a new printer with different tray/bin assignments.
- Use PCLCodes.exe that is included with PCLWorks Program or PCL Tool SDK to disassemble/translate your PCL file into a readable ASCII .TXT file.
- Open the .PCL file and the .TXT file in a programmer’s (binary) editor. It must be a binary editor or you could alter the file in unexpected ways.
- Search the .TXT file for a “Select Paper Source” line like: “[ ESC & l 5 H ] Select Paper Source: Optional”.
- Now determine how many trays are being assigned. Each tray has it’s own number (“5” in the example above).
- Search and Replace all the occurrences of “[ESC]&l5H” with the numeric value required by the new printer.
- Repeat this process changing the numeric value for all the different tray assignments that you found in the .TXT search.
- PCLFilter.exe Program Method: Use PCLFilter to globally search and replace PCL Escape Codes.
- PCLXForm Script Progam Method: Use a custom PCLXForm .tpt script to more selectively change tray assignments.