Posted on | February 22, 2010 | No Comments
In today’s competitive environment where every second counts, businesses must evaluate the level of application downtime they can afford and how much they are prepared to invest to maximize system availability. Here are some tips on how to protect your PCL transformation application and help prevent mission critical downtime.
What changes can bring your PCL transformation application down?
- Changes in fonts, point sizes, symbol sets or other attributes
- Changes to the printer driver or driver options
- Updates to the printer driver
- Changes in the way the PCL print streams are generated
- Changes to the printer’s front panel defaults
What kinds of errors or changes may require a software re-installation?
- Failure of the PC that is generating the PCL
- Application’s page volume limit reached
- PageCounter turned off or running PCLTool SDK remotely without an unlimited license
- Migrating to a new server or operating system
Simple ways to Protect your PCL transformation application from disasters:
- Insure that you have backups of all the files provided by PageTech needed for re-installation.
- Insure that you have a backup of your permanent runcode in its uninitialized (unused) state as it was originally provided.
- If you have any custom scripts, changes to preferences or other customization steps required for your application – insure that you have fully documented what needs to be done for your custom application so that someone else would be able to re-install should you not be available.
- Purchase Annual Maintenance for all production units!
Disaster Recovery Unit:
- Since most PCL transformation applications are mission critical, we highly recommend that you implement a disaster recovery unit (DRU) into your contingency planning.
- We also recommend that you periodically test your DRU to make sure that it is an exact duplicate of your production unit with all the latest updates and upgrades.
- If you have an overflow unit or DRU on a different server, you can switch to it should something happen to the server hosting your primary production unit.
Pricing for Contingency Units:
- Overflow/Backup Unit: $300 plus 50% off of Extended Use Option and Annual Maintenance
- Disaster Recovery Unit: $300 plus 75% off of Extended Use Option and Annual Maintenance
PCLTool SDK V9.0
V9.0 Upgrade Release will be out in February 2010 and will include:
- Merged MS VC and .Net source base to simplify development path for all future modifications, updates and enhancements.
- Updated .Net programs with latest functions already added to the non-.Net versions.
- New MS VC compiled GUI programs with new source is available to OEMs upon request.
- New 64-bit version of our main convert and view .dll files.
- New 64-bit versions PCLXForm, Filter and TNXDump programs.
Happy New Year,